Soil Improvement stage 1

So, from concrete to loam ... ok here we go.

I needed a "quick fix" so I could transplant some of the plants rescued from my old house.

I tried digging this compacted clay/silt mix and couldn't get the spade in more than an inch or so.

This was when I decided to build a couple of raised beds for the annual vegetables.

I built up a couple of beds using railway sleepers, filled the bottom with tree prunings
including the big branches cut up. I then added weeds and grass clippings and filled with a mix of soil, compost, tree mulch and manure.



So the veg was ok but what about the fruit trees and other perennials?

Well I had to tackle those concrete beds along the fence.
So here's what I did...

The beds had been covered with weedmat but the weeds had grown up and through it so it had to be removed along with as much of the couch rhizomes I could manage to get.

I knew I couldn't dig the beds, as I actually bent my spade trying to get through that awful
compacted clay.

I tried wetting agent to see if it would help, after 4 applications, no noticeable difference.

Lets get tough with this thing!!

 I bought a mini mattock and started breaking up the top 6 inches of clay, removing a lot of the big chunks as I went.


Here's what the beds looked like after initial weeding:


Here's the soil below the weedmat . It shows the embedded couch runners and the compacted
clay soil:

So, I used the mattock to break up the top 6 inches or so, removing big chunks as I went.


Looks awful but it's way better than a solid clump.
Here's some of the stuff I removed:


Removing some big chunks lowered the soil level giving me plenty of room for the next stage.
Adding Organic Matter.

See next post for more.

Comments

  1. I will use treated pine from bunnings as much cheaper. Is this ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look purists will say it's not good, but I currently have 2 treated pine raised beds I grow stuff in.
      Just DON'T try and grow veg in there too soon. I'd leave your new beds out in the elements for at least 3 months before planting - if you can.
      Meanwhile you can fill them up with garden waste, compost and imported soil etc.
      and let things all settle down - maybe even try a green manure crop if your beds are already full of soil. It will give you great results later.

      Delete
    2. Oh and make sure to start your compost pile if you haven't already - you are going to need it!

      Delete
    3. Yes I have a black bin for compost but have put everything into raised beds. Shoud I put in the bin?

      Delete
  2. Umm I'm assuming by black bin you mean your average backyard square compost bin.
    I'd start putting kitchen scraps and maybe half your grass clippings and leaves in the bin to get a start.
    Once your raised beds are half full, put all your garden/kitchen waste into the bin.
    The top half of your raised beds should be some sort of compost/soil mix.
    I'll start posting soil info very soon - stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, not half full yet. But will start the compost bin filling like you say.
      I use office paper and sometimes egg cartons for compost.
      You think this is ok?

      Delete
  3. Well I use office paper etc. for extra browns.
    But don't use any glossy color magazines or junkmail .
    Only use dull and not white catalogues - like the Bunnings catalogue .
    I use one of the local newspapers but the other is too bright and shiny.
    If in doubt - put it in the recycle bin instead.
    If you are trying to go totally organic then don't add any waste paper.
    Use leaves for browns, there's still plenty of autumn leaves around if you need some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, looks like I've got my blog back. Couldn't access it for ages. Reboot time again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts